PDO Thread Lift has become popular in the cosmetic industry for many individuals who show the first signs of aging in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. Without wanting to undergo surgery, this non-surgical anti-aging treatment is available to boost the appearance of the face. PDO Threads are made from a colorless polyester that breaks down in the body after about six months, which results are usually the most noticeable between 4–8 weeks.
What Are The Types Of PDO Threads?
PDO threads have three categories that include:
- PDO mono threads. These are smooth sutures that stimulate collagen production and help rejuvenate the skin.
- PDO cog threads. These threads have barbs that latch into the skin like small fishhooks to support and lift parts of the face.
- PDO screw threads. These threads help restore volume to sunken parts of the skin and are made up of one or two intertwined threads.
How Does PDO Thread Work?
In general, the procedure in PDO Thread Lift is minimally invasive. Once done applying the local anesthesia, the threads are inserted via sharp or blunt tip needles (called cannulas) into different skin layers. After inserting them, the threads anchor the skin and lift it upwards, and the excess is then cut off.
The entire procedure can take 15-30 minutes, depending on the areas treated. There is some discomfort during the procedure that patients may experience, but it becomes lesser due to the improved techniques.
What Benefits Do PDO Threads Provide?
Skin sagging, particularly in the mid and lower face areas, is caused by several factors, such as age, gravity effects, collagen loss, and facial fat. Hence, PDO Threads provide the following benefits:
- Contours the face and reduces facial roundness
- Enhances jawline definition
- Reducing the nasolabial folds appearance (smile lines), jowls, and marionettes
- Reduces the formation of a double chin
- Stimulates collagen production and rejuvenates the skin
What Does The Procedure Look Like?
In general, the procedure looks like this:
- As the patient sits in a reclined seat, the surgeon will disinfect the face with alcohol, followed by applying a local anesthetic with a needle under the skin.
- A small incision will be done by the surgeon with another needle, and then insert a cannula device into the small hole.
- The surgeon will anchor the thread into place and pull out the cannula.
- They’ll finish by cutting the thread and ensuring it’s secure.
What Are The Areas That PDO Thread Lift Can Address?
As a versatile lifting treatment, the PDO threads practically allow all areas of the face to be treated, including the following:
- Crow’s feet (wrinkles around eyes)
- Nasolabial folds
- Naso jugal folds
- Undereye area
- Wrinkles around the mouth
What To Know Before Getting PDO Threads?
Below are a few things to prepare and expect before deciding to do PDO threads:
- The face will hurt a lot. For three days, the lower half of the face will feel sore and tender to touch.
- Pain and bruising are normal so ensure to select a good clinic.
- Avoid eating anything crunchy since chewing hurts.
- It may take two weeks or a little longer for downtime, but the face will eventually heal.
- Temporarily give up any skincare for at least a week necessary in this process.
- Avoid exposing the skin to any heat (no gym and physical SPF only) during the downtime so as not to break the threads down before they’re ready.
- It takes about three months to see full results as the sutures in the skin dissolve and trigger the skin to create fibroblasts that help produce more collagen.
Who Are Good Candidates For PDO Thread Lift?
A good candidate for the thread is anyone who has significant skin laxity. On the other hand, this treatment is contraindicated for someone who keloids easily. The best individuals to get this treatment are those in their 30s to get away with less treatment since the duration of results is longer due to the collagen still available in the skin compared to those in their 60s.
Nonetheless, a patient in their 60s can still see great results but will have to use many more threads and won’t get the duration typically in their younger years.
What Possible Side Effects Do PDO Threads Give?
Unlike facelift surgeries, the threads in this lifting procedure have a much lower risk of complications. Additionally, there’s less risk of scarring, severe bruising, or bleeding when administered by a trained professional. Also, there are minor complications that may occur in 15 to 20 percent of procedures but are usually easily corrected, such as:
- visible sutures (for thin skin)
- minor bruising
- snapping of threads
- accumulation of blood (hematoma)
- dimpling (orange peel-like skin texture)
- hair loss
- salivary gland injury
What Is The Recovery Time Of This Procedure?
For a couple of days, there will be slight swelling and bruising that may occur, while tenderness can occur for 2–3 weeks in certain facial movements. A patient can feel absolutely fine on day five post cheek lift but suddenly feel tenderness or soreness in the area. These are normal and should subside on their own within a week or two for most patients but can linger an additional week for the occasional patient.
When Can I See The Results And How Long Do They Last?
The skin is immediately lifted after a PDO thread lifting procedure, as the threads provide support to lift the skin in its new position. The patient may look slightly tighter than the final result, but in about 1 week, it will begin to look much more natural.
After 1-2 months, the skin will feel the rejuvenating effects, such as better skin texture and firmer and smoother skin. The doctor may concentrate more on either skin rejuvenation or skin lifting during the procedure. Depending on the technique used, the results will vary from person to person.
The threads would have dissolved in about 6 months after the treatment, but the results will continue for many more months. It is suggested to repeat the procedure 6-9 months after the first procedure to allow for a long–lasting result of up to 3 years.
The Bottom Line
Besides the traditional surgery, PDO Thread Lift can make people look younger and feel as confident as they want to be. ReNu Aesthetics & Wellness offers PDO Thread Lift, which tightens the skin using Polydioxanone (PDO) threads, helping remove fine lines and wrinkles. PDO Thread Lift is a non-invasive and efficient treatment that can take years off one’s look.